Posted by: Claudette | 2009-07-27

Problem 18 year old

Does my child suffer from depression. Since 2 of his best friends were killed on motorbike accidents my childs lifestyle has changed. When he is at home (very seldom) he sleeps or sits in his room. He can never have a good conversation with us. He does not care about times we give him 2 be home. Does not study, not interrested in school. He turned 18 in June and drnks and smokes. He promises he does not take drugs and is even willing 4 us to take him 2 b tested. He shows no emotions what so ever. What can I do to change this. It is causing major problems in my house as my husband feels he has become a failure as a father and that he has lost his son.

Let's see. 18. Recent loss o 2 close friends suddenly and upsettingly. The behaviours you describe are presumably changes from the way he was before this. You don't mention when the bereavements were, but some or much of this could be grief and bereavement. But if this has lasted for some time, it could be mixed with depression. He needs to see a psychiatrist for a rank assessment of his state and to form a wokable diagnois and treatment plan, rather than allowing this situation to become chronic.