Posted by: Justin | 2009-05-14

Probiotics - Strength

Do you know what the strongest probiotic on the south african market is? I have taken various one' s (about 4 billon CFU) with little affect. I' m know on a 2 strain 15 billion tablet which is making a difference. I' ve had problems since food poisoning a few years ago when my doctor put my on very strong antibiotics which completely destroyed my intestinal flora. He gave me no probiotics at the time so after awhile bad bacteria ran riot. Is there anything stronger out there?

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Justin
Interesting question!
It is not all about billions it’s all about what the actual proven effect is clinically, more is NOT necessarily better.
Many products use this as a selling and marketing tool. Some manufacturers also use huge overages to ensure that by the expiry date, sufficient bacteria are still in the product. Lastly many probiotics have been tested on an individual basis, but the combination has never been tested clinically?
I recommend REUTERI Justin, because it is clinically documented to work at a level of 100 million (108 cfu) on a once daily basis.
It is one of the most researched probiotics internationally and is stable and alive until expiry date. Refer to for more information.

Posted by: Justin | 2009-05-22

I tried REUTERI for 6 weeks with no change. I then changed to Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus which is the 15 billion tablet I mentioned before and noticed an improvement. I' m now looking at the MaxiBotic 20.

Reply to Justin