Question
Posted by: Jane | 2009-01-30

Probiotics question

Hello. I was just wondering if taking probiotics while on a long anti-biotic course ( 2 to 3 months) would be a waste of time seeing that antibiotics would just kill the good bacteria generated from using probiotics? Does this make sense or am i misunderstanding they way these things work. I dont want to waste my probiotics (expensive) if they are going to be counterproductive to what the antibiotics are doing as from my understanding antobiotics kill both good and bad bactera....please help!

Dear Jane

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It is a good idea to use the probiotics, as it will prevent the onset of uncomfortable loose stools. You can also replace the probiotics with bulgarian yoghurt.

Kind regards