Posted by: Theo | 2009-08-26

Probiotics in yoghurt

Do all yoghurts have probiotics/live AB cultures are or there certain ones which have more than others? I have noticed that some are boldly displayed on the carton as having probiotics / cultures and some not.

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Theo
In my opinion Woolworths yogurts containing “HOWARU” cultures come the closest currently, to suppling an adequate probiotic dose.
You will note that on these yoghurts, the use-by date is very short (approx 2 days). The reason for this is that the added probiotic cultures die off over time. This in itself does not affect the yoghurt, but is does mean that you no longer know what dose you are getting.
Please shout if you need more information