Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2010/04/28

Probiotics for dogs

We have three very lively -|- er spaniels. Two of them have very sensitive stomachs. Most dog food brands cause their intensines to bleed some, and we finally settled on one brand that seems to work for them. However, they do still suffer the occasional bout of unsettled tummy.

My quesion is: can you give over-the-counter (human) probiotics to dogs, or are the bacteria strains just too different from what dogs need? Is there a probiotic product avaiable that is suitable for dogs?

Dear Lisa

Use small animal protexin. It is very affordable.

3
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/29

Dear Lisa

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/04/28

I''d go with the Protexin option, too.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2010/04/28

My Jack Russell is now 41/2.
On his 3rd birthday the " bleeding"  tummy trouble came to a head and he was hospitalised. We ran a whole bunch of tests and R14 000 later no one could actually pin point the cause.
I took him to a homeopathic vet in Durban who immediately put him on a diet of cooked ostrich, sweet potato and butternut for 6 months along with weekly injections into his tummy for 4 weeks, half a slippery elm capsule twice a day and a remedy twice a day. He also had a " human"  probiotic (not an over the counter type). After 6 months we started introducing other foods.
18 months later and a strict well balanced home made diet and he has never looked back.
He gets this probiotic twice a week and only gets a remedy if he looks like his tummy is a bit sore but I have not had a bloody poop in over a year.
My other dogs get Protexin once a day - unfortunately my Jack Russell does not cope with the Protexin but my other animals thrive on it.
You can Protexin from any vet.
Good luck.

Reply to Kate