Posted by: Rachael | 2009-03-26

Probiotics for cough

Hi doc, My 19 month old son is at daycare, and often has upper respiratory problems. He is also teething (molars and incisors). About a month ago he developed a cough and runny nose, and his voice was hoarse, and I believed he had oral thrush again. I started him on probiotics, flusin and the drops for his mouth (cant remember the name), then took him to the pead, who suggested I also nebulise him. He got better, but the coughing and chestiness started again this week. now I have him on probiotics and Flusin. Would the probiotics help in this instance? His voice is very hoarse. And in the long term, would it help lessen this resp problems? Thanks

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Rachel
Day care environments are notorious for constant re-infection.
The first objective for you is to try and ensure any infection is treated and gone.
After that supplementing with a probiotic ongoing, has been shown to reduce risk of infection in day care children. Refer to, look under research and look for studies by a Peadiatrician called Dr. Weizman. These were done in this exact environment.