Posted by: Delene | 2009-08-26

Probiotics and Celiac disease (gluten intolerance)

My daughter suffers from Celiac and battled to gain weight. She is on various medications and a very strict gluten free diet, but this alone did not guarantee her gaining weight. Her gastroenterologist told us to experiment with VSL#3 sachets. These are trilliion strenth probiotics which over time assists with the healing of the damaged gut. My daughter has been using this for 6 months and her symptoms have improved tremendously. She has also started to gain weight and has much more energy. The product isn' t cheap, but worth every cent. Do not use the VSL#3 capsules as they aren' t of the same mega strength. Your pharmasist will have to order the product for you.

Dear Delene
Thank you so much for this interesting advice. I will make enquiries from one of my colleagues who is involved in the production of probiotics as to which probiotics are available in SA for Celiac sufferers. I have directed Dubra to read your posting as she may also benefit from using a probiotic.