Posted by: Mary | 2011-10-05

I do not understand why my GP told me not to take the same probiotics all the time. When I questioned this statement I was told that one can OD. Really??? The advice was to alternate the different probiotics. Your comment please. Thanks

Probiotics are not manufactured as drugs but as food supplements. Enough studies have not been done to establish the safety of probiotics. Too much probiotics can have little to no side effects, like gassiness and abdominal discomfort. In some cases, especially in people with lowered immune systems, too much probiotic activity, has to be treated with antibiotics. Please refer to the following link for more in depth details: