Posted by: K | 2010-04-30

When my child goes on antibiotics, I usually give her a probiotic.

Recently, the doctor that had been pushing Reuteri changed his usual prescription to Probiflora saying that Reuteri doesn''t have the live culture that''s needed to support antibiotic therapy.

On the following course of antibiotics at a different doctor, I was told that Probiflora was the inferior product and that I needed to toss that and buy Reuteri, which was the only product that had the correct bacillum to support the antibiotics.

I happened to chat to a paediatric dietician the following weekend who echoed the sentiments of the first doctor. That Reuteri was utterly ineffective and probably would be taken off the market soon. Probiflora or another (Sportron?) were the probiotics of choice.

I don''t know which to use? Any information would be very helpful.

I am of the understanding that Probiflora is the product of choice but there is still nothing that beats natural cultured jogurt.