Question
Posted by: Judy | 2008/08/25

probiotics

I am confused about how bacteria (probiotics) can survive in a capsule form indefinitely. One healthcare professional told me that unless they are kept refridgerated they are dead and useless. But surely if they are living organisms they cannot survive out of their natural environment without anything to feed on, whether refridgerated or not?

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Judy
Probiotic bacteria in a capsule/tablet form are effectively like dormant seeds or spores. In the production process they are lyophilised into a freeze dried powder. Once they come into contact with moisture in the body (gut) and “fuel” in the form of undigested carbohydrates, glycerol etc, they “bud” or grow.
From a storage point of view (while in capsule or tablets form) they are sensitive to high temperature and to moisture.
Hence some are stored refrigerated. Others (like REUTERI) have good stability data and the count of bacteria (strength) can be guaranteed until expiry date if stored in a dry place at less that 250C. In the case of Reuteri drops they are stored refrigerated as this enables a 2 year shelf life claim vs. 18 months if not refrigerated.
Hope this assists you.

1
Posted by: Kesh | 2008/11/20

Can I give my 20 month old son abt 3 drops of reuteri drops everyday to strengthen his immune system or shoudl it be only given when his on antibiotics

Reply to Kesh