Question
Posted by: Kate | 2010-03-12

Probiotic for HIV Patient

Hi there.
My domestic worker is HIV+ and over the last couple of months has lost a lot of weight.
She comes to me 3 days a week and I have started making a smoothie with fruit and yoghurt in the morning and have made a bland chicken soup for her for lunch.
Do you think a pro-biotic is necessary? and if so what type?

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Dear Kate

You are already helping enormously by ensuring she gets healthy and nutritious food. A probiotic may well help her gastrointestinal lining to be as healthy as possible, absorb the nutrients from her food properly, helping to maintain weight, and of course helping to prevent infections such as infectious diarrhoea, which she will be more prone to as the HIV affects her immune system. I would recommend Reuterina chew tablets (just one daily) as it has an excellent safety profile and has been studied for use in HIV+ patients.