Question
Posted by: fabienne | 2010/09/05

Probiotic and home made Yogurth

I am living in DRC where food is really expensive. I am preparing homemade yogurt. I add probiotic (bifidobacterium lactis and lactobacillus acidophilus) to the milk. Do you thing it''s healthy and safe ?
Fabienne

Dear Fabienne
The probiotics you are using (Bifidobacterium lactis and Lactobacillus acidophilus) are safe, so-called 'beneficial microorganisms'. Do you find that you can make yoghurt successfully with these organisms? At one stage when I was able to purchase unpasteurised milk in South Africa at a local farm, I used to add one small bottle of plain Bulgarian yoghurt to 1 litre of the milk which had been heated to scalding and then allowed to cool down to blood temperature. I put the mixture in a vacuum flask (to maintain the temperature) overnight and in the morning I would have a flask of yoghurt. I would then keep a small quantity of the home-made yoghurt to use as my 'starter' for the next batch.
Enjoy

1

Dear Fabienne
Enjoy