Question
Posted by: Paul | 2008/08/18

probanthine

I wish to start taking probanthine tablets because of excessive facial sweating. Is this a long term treatment (ie. I have to take it for the rest of my life in order to get relief? Also, what are the effects and harms on my body if i have to take it continuously for a long peroid of time/ rest of my life? Is it safe to take it for the rest of my life.
Plz help.

Dear Paul
It isn't a nice medication to take long term treatment as it MAY have certain side effects: dry mouth, blurred vision, palpitations, difficulty in urinating, impotence. You will have to test the pressure of your eyes regularly if you use it long term. It is better to use it as needed - i.e. before an important meeting or social event.
Alternatives would be to see a a neurosurgeon and discuss sympatectomy. Botox can also be used but should be given by an experienced specialist otherwise it can cause drooping of the face. ( a dermatologist is my guess would be best )