Question
Posted by: KAT | 2010/11/10

Prison please help me..

Hi please help me i feel so depresed i cant even sleep or eat i hv a million things running through my mind and i need to be strong for the sake of my daughter, my husband was framed for a crime he didn''t commit.. now he is serving 4yrs inside and i wanted to take it to high court but i was advised not to.

i was financialy dependent on him now here comes month end i have no idea of how i''m going to pay our home loan, electricity bill, food and all and what makes things worst is that i''m pregnant with our second child and due the 1st week of december/ last week of november.

now my problem is he wants to see his 6yr old daughter cause he has been awaiting trial for the last 2mnths and she has been asking me when her daddy will be coming home, i''ve been brushing her off cause i dont know how to tell her,

is it advisable to take her there? is it she is way too young? and i''m afraid that she would not understand y we have to leave her daddy behind..

I'm really sorry to hear of your awful predicament, and hope that other readers with more experience of such things can offer some useful advice. You may want to approach the social welfare authorities to see what help may be available for you and your child ; consider, perhaps in discussion with the bank, how you can reduce your costs, such as selling the house and moving to a small flat for the time being.
I think a child of 6 is old enough to understand if you explain to her that her father has got into trouble with the law, and will have to spend some years in prison, but that like you, he still loves her. Discuss that it may be possible for her to visit him some times, though a prison can be a rather scary place, and let her share in the decision to go and visit.
Avoiding such a discussion doesn't help, as kids need explanations, and what she imagines may be much worse than reality.

1