Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-14

Primolut -N from day 19 to 26 of Clomid?

My GP (I live in a small town far away from Fertility Clinics, and I have PCOS &  Hypothyroidism) prescribed clomid from CD5 to CD9, and then Primolut -N for CD19 to CD26 (3 x 3 times a day) as my progesterone support, I have however read that Primolut -N is contra indicated during pregnancy or if you plan on becoming pregnant. What is your opinion of this or should I request something else?

Another thing is Spiractin safe to use whilst TTC and in pregnancy?

Thank you!

Dear Anon

The use of Primolut-N should be absolutely discouraged as a progestational support agent, as not only does it completely alter the endometrium negatively but also may, in certain cases alter the menstrual cycle patterns. It is best to use a natural progesterone supplement such as Cyclogest / Uterogestan / Gestone or alternately to use an indirect methods of increasing progesterone such as HCG injections twice weekly in the luteal phase.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim