Question
Posted by: Coral | 2011/08/23

Prexum vs Vectoryl

Just wanted to know some facts about Prexum vs. Vectoryl. I am currently taking 4 mg Prexum and paying a huge co-payment but my GP says that if I can stick to Prexum (very good drug) and afford it then I should rather not switch to the cheaper drug namely Vectoryl. Is it true that Vectoryl will not control my blood pressure as effectively? Also is Vectoryl the cheapest equivalent.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Coral

The difference in price between Prexum shouldn't be that much - On SEP (the price before your pharmacy adds its small profit) the difference between the two is roughly R15.
Also, Vectoryl is not a bad product at all and is in fact also manufactured by Biogaran, the company that manufactures Prexum. It should work just as well. What you doc may have meant is not to change medications when one is working well.

Regarding price, the cheapest options currently available is RAN-perindopril (Ranbaxy) and Pearinda (Pharma Dynamics).

5
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/05/28

Hi, I have been using Vectoryl plus for 3 weeks. I usually took plexum plus. I gained 2 kg without changing anything in my life style. Is it possibly the change in meds?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/11/26

My mother is drinking 4mg prexum every evening. She fainted about 4 times in the last two weeks - she is always tyred and dizzy - she has a heart problem - and sometimes her blood pressure is 150/80 is there anything else she can drink

Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/08/24

Hi Coral

Reply to pharmacist
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/08/24

Hi Coral

Reply to pharmacist | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Mona | 2015/02/25

I went to a doctor yesterday and prescribe Vectoryl as my blood pressure was 160/116. the question is do I suppose to use it for the rest of my life?