Question
Posted by: Worried | 2011-08-01

Preventional medication against malaria or not

PREVENTIONAL MEDICATION AGAINST MALARIA OR NOT
Posted by: Petro | 13/4/2011

We are going on holiday at Inhaca Island in Mozambique and I am not sure whether we should take preventional malaria medication or not. We will be spending 10 days on the island. Apparently the hut we will be staying in has a fan, I am still awaiting confirmation regarding mosquito nets. However, we went to visit the travel clinic today and were advised to use Malarone. The children are 10 and 12 years old and apparently this drug has less side-effect. I am very confused at the moment as everybody keeps advising me not to take the medication as it merely suppresses the symptoms and should you have the disease it will take longer to detect. How effective is this drug? Are there any statistics to justify the use of preventional drugs against malaria? We will obviously follow the normal route by using DEET products, wear suitable clothing between dawn and dust, etc.

Expert ImageTravel expert

Mozambique is an all-year-round malaria area.

Taking children to a malaria area is a major responsibility that one takes on.Travel clinic personal in South Africa have generally received very good training and are up to date in their advice.

You talk of Malarone so you may not be local as we call it Malanil.

We see most of our holiday malaria cases coming from Mozambique that have either not taken any prophylaxis or stopped because locals using your arguments.

Be responsible and make the right decision!.

Dr Pete Vincent

1
Posted by: Travel expert | 2011-08-03

Dr Pete Vincent

Reply to Travel expert