Question
Posted by: Petro | 2011/04/13

PREVENTIONAL MEDICATION AGAINST MALARIA OR NOT

We are going on holiday at Inhaca Island in Mozambique and I am not sure whether we should take preventional malaria medication or not. We will be spending 10 days on the island. Apparently the hut we will be staying in has a fan, I am still awaiting confirmation regarding mosquito nets. However, we went to visit the travel clinic today and were advised to use Malarone. The children are 10 and 12 years old and apparently this drug has less side-effect. I am very confused at the moment as everybody keeps advising me not to take the medication as it merely suppresses the symptoms and should you have the disease it will take longer to detect. How effective is this drug? Are there any statistics to justify the use of preventional drugs against malaria? We will obviously follow the normal route by using DEET products, wear suitable clothing between dawn and dust, etc.

Hallo Petro
There are several dangerous myths regarding malaria prophylaxis. Taking prophylaxis does not make the diagnosis more difficult but it does protect you against serious forms of malaria like cerebral malaria and black water fever. It is true that prophylaxis is not 100% effective - hence the importance of always avoiding bites by using DEET and long sleeved clothing. Malaria can be a fatal disease especially in children making prophylaxis justified and although anti-malaria drugs may have side effects, it is usually not severe and can be avoided by careful selection of medication taking into consideration your medical history and the area you will be visiting. Just remember that certain drugs should be avoided if you plan to dive (doxicyline usually safe. Contact a Netcare travel clinic to advise you regarding the best drug to take for the area you plan to visit

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/14

Hallo Petro