Posted by: anon | 2009-07-21

prevention better than cure?

Is there a general or broadspectrum cancer test that one can do ? With all the many types of cancers and the many symptoms that go along with cancer,we tend to over look them, as just having flu, stomach flue, tired ect. I belive prevention is better than cure. How does one go about have a test to check for cancer in as broad a spectrum as possible? Can a normal laboratory do it? Do you have to have your GP refer? Will the GP think I am over reacting, just because I want to test for something so serious?

Dear anon
No there are no general or broad spectrum cancer test. What you should do is see your GP yearly - he will take your family history and according to your own specific risk factors, you may need some blood tests or x/rays or colonoscopy at regular intervals to screen for cancer.