Question
Posted by: barney | 2008/10/07

preventing water retention

i' ve never been a water fan but i' d like to start drinking about 6 glasses of water a day. i weigh 53 but i' m trying to loose 3kg' s. pls let me know if there is anyway i can start drinking water daily without having my water retained. thank you kindly............

Dear Barney
The trick to preventing water retention is NOT to overdo your Liquid intake. You need to measure how much liquid you drink on a normal day. Adults need 2,5 litres or 9 x 250 ml cups a day, not more. So let's say you are already having 1,5 litres a day then you only need to add 4 cups (250 ml each) of water to your liquid intake. If you drink too much water this can lead to so-called electrolyte disturbances (vital minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium and even calcium are washed out of the body), which can affect kidney function and then cause water retention. Just increasing your liquid intake without reducing your energy intake will not lead to weightloss. To lose 3 kgs cut down on fat intake and do some exercise every day.

1
Posted by: Loa-Anne | 2009/02/10

I am suffering from severe water retention and this I always feel like a little balloon. I feel horribly fat and my legs are is big as tree trunks on bad day.

Please help

Reply to Loa-Anne