Question
Posted by: Meg | 2010-11-02

Preventing tanning

Hi Doc,

I walk to work, walk home and walk during my lunch. In total, that’ s 1 hour a day. I wear SPF 40 but I’ m still getting a heck of a tan (which I don’ t want- it’ s a funny tan in the shape of my clothes just on the back of my neck and my arms and my skin is burning a bit). I how do I prevent tanning if I have no other choice but to walk and my sunscreen doesn’ t seem to be doing the job? While we’ re on the subject, can you tan through a window? I want to try get my tan a bit even but live in a complex without much privacy, so I want to try tanning through my window. I’ ve already goggled ways to fade a tan in case you cannot tan through a window (the tan looks so stupid). Thanks in advance.

Hallo Meg
You need to use a sunblock instead of a sunscreen. Sunblock usually has no SPF rating. The down side is that it is often gooey and unpleasant to use. What about using a good quality golf umbrella to shade you with your sunscreen?

Glass acts like a sunscreen, it does not block all the UV radiation but it does block the most dangerous short wavelength ultraviolet light.Longer wavelength ultraviolet light can pass through, which is less harmful than the shorter wavelength variety, but you can still tan or burn if you get enough exposure.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-11-02

Hallo Meg