Question
Posted by: Lise | 2008/10/03

preventing gallstones

I have recently realized something about my mother and myself.. We have strikingly similar medical problems- which isn' t really surprising. But we have both had our appendices removed when we were teens-early adulthood, we both suffer from GERD (I had the surgery to fix this, my mother was diagnosed a week ago with the same condition), we both get headaches around menstruation (mine only developed later in life, as did hers), and we both never developed our wisdom teeth (both had only one tooth grow slightly), and then smaller things about our bodies which are very very alike (as one would expect).

Now my mother also suffered from gallstones many years ago and her gallbladder was removed. I know this is more common in women, and from pregnancy, etc. But I also read that it could also be hereditary. I would like to know what can I do to prevent this from happening to me. I' m pretty young, 25. But I' d like to start eing more pro-active in preventing from suffering from this later in life, as my mother had.

Dear Lise

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do prevent gallstones, except from following a low fat diet, prevent obesity and drinking a lot of water. Enjoying a glass of wine with meals in the evening will also prevent gall.

Kind regards