Posted by: Wilna | 2009-02-03

Preventing an underactive thyroid

We have underactive thyroid in our family and both my sisters have been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. I am in my late thirties and have tested my thyroid over the last four years. Below a history of the TSH results. Normal range 0.24 - 5.28:
- 2005: 3.1
- 2006: 2.35
- 2007: 2.08
- 2008: 1.76

I am worried that my score is decreasing year by year and that I will also end up with a underactive thyroid. Am I wrong with my assumption? If not, is there anything that I can do, herbal stuff I can drink to prevent this from happening?

Dear Wilna
The only thing you can do is to ensure that you get in enough iodide - like using iodised salt. You may need to have a full thyroid function test done - TSH is just a screening test