Question
Posted by: mgk | 2011/11/15

Preventative Medicine for son

HI!

We will be visiting the USA next year in July.

My son(4) is ashmatic and uses Singulair and Seretide daily. He was born with laryngomalcia which cleared at 2 years but is still very prone to infections and can rapidly turn from a bit sick to serious in a matter of hours.

At home we are used to having some preventative meds to use for emergencies but never for prolonged periods as we usually seek the help of our peadiatrician the next morning once we need to start using this.

The meds include duolin and/or adrenaline for inhalation, prelone and/or celestamine and some cough syrups.

Do you know if I would be able to carry these preventative meds as well as the chornic meds with a letter from our doc into the USA? We plan on taking extra travel medical insurance to make sure we can visit a doctor any time as needed, but I would feel more confortable having these on hand as this is how we have been treating him since birth.

Thank you!

Expert ImageTravel expert

Dear MGK,

I would take a portable nebulisor on the plane and ask for oxygen to be available if required as Oxygen saturation can drop by 4% on long flights. You can take al the meds you need with a letter.

Ask your Paed about IInfluenza vaccine. He most likely has had Prevenar already. Get his cell phone number or e-mail adres as back up as medical help is very pricy in the States.

Be sure to read small print in travel insurance as the routienly do not cover chronic conditions. Medical Aids offer travel cover but make sure you pay top up before you go.

Best to be well prepared then you are sure to have a hassle free trip!

Regards,
Pete

1
Posted by: Travel expert | 2011/11/17

Dear MGK,

Regards,
Pete

Reply to Travel expert