Question
Posted by: C | 2010/01/11

PRETZELS

I sometimes just eat a packet of stick pretzels (salted) for lunch (75g). I note, however, that no info is available on the packaging of the calarie/kilojoule content. Any idea? Thank you Doc.

Dear C
Unfortunately the present SA Food Tables also do not list the nutritive content of stick pretzels. The Tables do, however, list the average content of crackers with a high-fat content, which are similar to pretzels. The kJ value for crackers is 2087 kJ per 100g, so 75 g would contain 1565 kJ. American Food Tables list the energy content of stick pretzels as 240 kcal or 1008 kJ per 60 g, thus 1680 kJ per 100g and 1260 kJ per 75 g. Both energy values per 75 g are not excessive as they represent either 18,6% or 15% of the daily energy intake for an adult consuming 8400 kJ per day. Theoretically such an individual can consume 1/3 of 8400 kJ or 2800 kJ per main meal or 33% of the daily energy intake. Your energy consumption would of course also be influenced by what you eat with the pretzels.
I hope this helps

1

Dear C
I hope this helps