Posted by: CAW | 2010-04-05

there is a feeling of pressure that has developed in my throat-at the region of the larynx& mdash -this has been insidious but is now causing considerable discomfort to the point when I lie down I feel as if I am lying on a hard round object which is pushing on my throat..or that I have something constrictive arond my neck like a tight collar& mdash -Occassionally I feel a fluttering almost like a rapid muscular tic & mdash resulting in involuntary coughing to break the fluttering -and as if I cannot get eough oxygen& mdash YET& mdash no apparent airway disruption as quite able to inhale exhale normally. Examination doesnt reveal any externally palpable node or swelling. The best way to describe is that I feel as if there is a large bolus stuck in my throat creating this constant pressure BUT not disrupting swallowing/breathing& mdash at this time..

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear CAW

You will need an ENT examination of the larynx to exclude anatomical abnormalities. If this reveals nothing, you may benefit from a CT of the neck to exclude other causes. Apossible cause may be found, but other possibilities may include uncontrolled silent reflux and globus pharyngeus. These are treatable, but require direct examination of the larynx to diagnose the problem.