Posted by: Stuffy head | 2008-11-13

Pressure in the head

Hi Doctor,
Could you please recommend the type of doctor I could see or if possible what you suspect the problem may be.
For 3 months now I have suffered from a mild earache, which gets really sore every couple of weeks and then calms down to amild pain after a few days. The last few weeks however I have felt a constant pressure in my head and in my ears, with my jaw feeling stiff as well.
I am prone to sinuses and have been using a spray called nasonex (which as i believe is a diuted cortisone spray, and is something i could use for the rest of my life...or at least until the congestion dissapears.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Kind Regards

Dear Stuffy head
I know this sounds really strange but I have a hunch that the earache, pressure in the head and sore jaw could be due to TM joint inflammation ( you may be gnashing your teeth unconsciously) The TM joint sits just in front of your ear and is the joint between your jaw and the skull. If you put your finger in your ear and press to the front you actually touch the joint and can feel if it is sore. You can also feel the joint space just in front of your ear. Let your dentist or a physiotherapist look at this joint. If there are signs of inflammation, you may need to get physiotherapy and a "biteplate" to sleep with. Using an anti-inflammatory medication and something to relax you at night is also valuable.

Posted by: Stuffy head | 2008-11-14

Hi Dr bets,
I think you have a strong point here, since when I wake up in the morning by teeth do feel very if i have been grinding them. I am scheduled for the dentsit soon and will mentions this to him. Thank you very much for the advice, I am very grateful for this!!
I will keep you posted about the results so that other readers will be able to read the thread.
Kind Regards

Reply to Stuffy head