Question
Posted by: Morgan | 2011-04-11

Pressure in my head

Hi there,

I hope that you can help me with this. I suffer fromexcruciating headaches. Saturday and Sunday morning I was actually woken up by the headache., it was so painful. The headache has since passed but i have a terrible pressure in my head, mostly around the top of my head and around the temple area, it also affects my ears to a degree. I get dizzy from this pressure in my head and also affects my vision slightly. I have been nausea since Saturday. Please could you advise me as to what the problem could be or if I should be concerned. I have since mentioned the headches to my GP and she recommends I see a Physio, I have seen a physio in the past and to no avail. I don''t see why I should spend unecessary money (i hava a hospital plan) on Physio if it doesn''t help.What is causing this pressure and should I be worried?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Morgan,
My apologies for the late reply – I have been away.
One should always be concerned about unexplained pain. Having said that, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have something serious – what it does mean is that you should have a comprehensive checkup to determine the exact cause of the pain. There is always a cause, and although in most cases there is not anything life-threatening, you still have to get the correct treatment. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011-04-17

Dear Morgan,

Reply to Headache expert