Question
Posted by: kloe | 2011/02/10

presentation anxiety

i have a good managerial position in a government position, my problem is i am vey reserved, i have been like this since i was little. My job requires a lot of presentation and being in meetings. I get nervous in meeting and during presentation. What can i do to improve, i sweat, have tummy problem or stutter. Please help me

Many of us like and indeed prefer, "reserved" people, rather than folks who are more pushy and noisy. But you, in a different way to another questioner today, seem to be describing social anxiety disorder, which will respond well to treatment, including SBT and possibly some medication of the antidepressant sort ( GPs tend to be too keen to use sedative tranquillizers of the Valium / Xanax family, which are less effective, sedative ( no point in YOU nodding off during your presentations ! ) and can become habit forming. You should be able relatively easily and relatively soon, to learn to relax, and even enjoy making presentations, as well as other social situations
Ignore the nasty sniping from some other readers - the only point in what they say which they miss is that in any job, anyone should be given proper training to do anything when it becomes a new job requirement.
Toastmasters helps some people, and if the Dale Carnegie courses still operate, they have helped many people for decades.

9
Posted by: Know what you are talking about | 2011/02/14

Hi, I also had a similar problem. What helped for me was sessions with a hypnoterapist (which can be done by a psychologist) during which she manipulated my mind into not being anxious about presentations anymore. It worked. She also gave me a tape recording which I STILL play just before I have to present something. If you do not want to see a therapist you can order a DVD to play and calm you down eg. public speaking: the power of the alpha technique by Terry Winchester (mindpower.co.za). It works for me, maybe it will work for you too.

Reply to Know what you are talking about

Posted by: Zee | 2011/02/11

Ask JZ and Malema for help. They bore me to death but look they both head of their herds. E-wonder what and e-how they get it right!

Reply to Zee
Posted by: Tax payer | 2011/02/11

I do not mean to be rude but wanted to know, as a tax payer, how this happened. An experienced manager in your previous position should have picked up the sweating and stuttering and initiated skills development before a management position was attained. Also a good recruitment manager should have also picked this up in the interview.I do not question your technical competancies but management is so much more than that.
My question is based on experience in the private sector and l am questioning why goverment is not running on the same lines.
ln the private sector you would approach your training dept,with your boss, via HR for skills development- at the companys cost. Although this problem would have been identified and discussed in your annual appraisal before you reached a management position.
l obviously have no idea how goverment works but training is the solution.
l am sorry or any offence caused and wish you well.

Reply to Tax payer
Posted by: ll | 2011/02/11

I have heard that joining Toastmasters will help. Lots of people who fear public speaking have joined them, and now love speaking in front of people.

Reply to ll
Posted by: kloe | 2011/02/11

Tax payer i think you are rude, if you dont have anything to say just keep quet. When i posted, i needed some advice not to be crushed down. I am very good in my job you know the technical part of it and i am working hard to get better. Thanks hey

Reply to kloe
Posted by: Hey | 2011/02/10

Yall being rude.....Taking up your issues with this fellow cause he got a top job. I am sure he can present and wishes to sharpen his skills. Dude if it makes you feel any better public speaking is one of the most feared things in this world. It is actually No 1 on the list, that means some people rather die than to do a presentation. I use to have that a bit while ago - but you just need to breath and go for the kill.....the more you do it the better you will become. If is a serious social disorder you may need professional treatment, however i don''t recommend that. I say - swim with the sharks to be a shark killer

Reply to Hey
Posted by: Fern | 2011/02/10

Well said, fellow taxpayer!

Reply to Fern
Posted by: Tax payer | 2011/02/10

To have achieved a good managerial position in government you should have been appointed on your absolute competancy in meetings and presentations.You stated this to be a high requirement for your position. To be competant you should have had training which should have covered anxiety and techniques to combat this.This should have been done before you reached management.
As a tax payer l ask why was this not picked up before you were appointed?

Reply to Tax payer