Question
Posted by: Karen Steyn | 2010/12/01

Prescription glasses for watersports

Hi Cyberdoc. I''ve searched the site and can''t find anywhere to ask an opthalmologist or optometrist my question so i''m directing it at you and maybe you can forward onto someone on the site who can help. I am nearsighted and hate the fact that i can''t see things in the distance. I''m booked to go to Mozambique in January and have the opportunity to go snorkelling and surfing. My question is, how can i enjoy surfing when I have to wear glasses. I have asked my optometrist about it and the only thing they can recommend is getting prescription goggle, which are very expensive. Is there another alternative that you can use? This all probably sounds very ambiguous but I would really like to be able to see whether the big black thing in the distance is a tree trunk or a shark... Thanks for your help.

Hallo Karen
Well, you can't wear glasses or contact lenses, so the only other option other than prescription goggles would be to go for lasik laser eye surgery if you want to regularly participate in watersports. In the end, though expensive the prescription goggles would be the cheaper option...
See http://ezinearticles.com/?Scuba-Diving-How-to-Cope-With-Nearsightedness&id=1618569

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/01

Hallo Karen