Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2010-09-13

Preparing myself for my 2nd child...

Hi.
My name is Wendy, i had a son 19 months ago.
The father left me when I was 7 months pregnant and after more emotional abuse than i could handle. I raised my son mostly by myself. I got married to a old friend a year again and we decided to have kids at a much later stage, but now i am having our first child together. I never thought i would have a child again due to me having such a hard time during my pregnancy and after. My husband is so happy and so is my family but i am depressed. I know my husband will be there for me and helps me where he can, but i cant help feeling this way. How can i prepare myself for this?

So sorry to hear that the biofather was such an awful person. Even without your background of having experienced bad emotional times associated with your last pregnancy, remember that pregnancy always involves a range of psychological and physical factors, includign major changes in hormones, that often make it easy to become depressed or at least to develop the blues. It would be wise to see a psychiatrist or at least a GOP for assessment of the degree of depression present, and to consider whether treatment should be contemplated, perhaps counselling at least, to help you through this phase.

1