Question
Posted by: Rennie26 | 2009-05-25

Prenatal vitamins

I' m very confused regarding when to start taking prenatal vitamins. I have been reading on the internet that alot of people suggest that you start taking it even before concieving but my gynea said only at 12 weeks except for the folic acid which she has already prescribed for me. I am 6 weeks pregnant and want do do the best for my baby so when should I start taking it?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi R

Prenatal vitamins can indeed be started before conception. Hwoever most gynaes prefer the way yours have advised - Folic Acid forte, followed by a vit such as PregOmega after 10-12 weeks. I'd suggest taking folic acid and a product such as Staminogro when trying to conceive, followed by only the Folic Acid when you fall pregant.
Best!