Question
Posted by: Neli G | 2010-02-06

Premature Ovarian Failure and Periods

Dear Doctor

After being diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure, can I expect my periods to go away? I was diagnosed and still having my periods. Without ovulation, I would prefer to get rid of the period. Are there any suggestions?

Dear Neli G

If the diagnosis of premature ovarian failure is true then it would be unusual to experience any menstrual period at all except in the rare instant where there is spontaneous remission of the problem in which case ovulation would return and so would menstruation. In such cases where spontaneous recovery is considered the best diagnostic criteria would be to do a full hormone profile, which should substantiate the return to normal. The other likely cause of such symptomatology would be polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and I would urge you to have this evaluated.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010-02-12

Dear Neli G

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert