Question

Premature menopause age 31

I have been to the gynae recently because since I had my 2nd c - section, I have been in constant pain and I have me period for 10 days and then it stops for 10 ten days then I have it again for 10 days. He did a pap smear and some blood tests and a sonar. the blood tests revealed that my hormone level was 160. he said I should go back for 2 more tests , 1 a week and then go and see him again. my medical aid is exhausted and I simply do not have the money to do this, he says if my hormone levels stay low then I am in premature menopause. he said this is not the reason for the constant pain, so what is then? I have also been having for the past couple of months severe mood swing, hot flashes, no sex drive

You don't say which hormone was 160. If it was oestrogen, this on its own doesn't mean anything. You would need further hormone tests to diagnose menopause.
Causes of irregular periods and pain include cysts, endometriosis and pelvic infection. I would suggets that you go to a goverbment hospital if you canot afford private care.

Best vwishes

2

Best vwishes

Posted by: LN | 2011/07/08

Hi anon

A diagnosis of premature menopause cannot be made by just measuring one hormone.

It is also important to note that results can be misinterpreted if it is not correlated with the timing in your cycle.
Premature menopause will have high FSH and LH and low Estradiol levels. FSH and LH can be high just before ovulation as well.
At your age, it may just be a hormonal imbalance, and may return to normal with appropriate interventions.

The fact that you are getting 2 periods in a month and having pain may indicate the presence of fibroids.
Abdominal surgery such as C-section can also lead to adhesions, which may be another source of the pain.

The blood tests are should be a maximum around R330 for the 3 main ones, but at least you will have a proper diagnosis.

Reply to LN