Question
Posted by: Mel | 2012/09/14

Premature Ageing

I have extremely dry skin. I am using Clarins day and night cream as well as Generation 6, but have found that in the last year or so, I have very fine horizontal wrinkles around the area where the skin is very dry (the cheeck area close to the nose and mouth)
I''m 33 years old and don''t want to look too old before my time.
Any advice on what I can do?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Mel, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as ideally one would like to examine the skin to find the cause of the appearance of the fine lines before deciding on the best treatment options.

It certainly sounds like you are using enough moisturizer in the area but there may be other causes that one needs to consider. Typically the appearance of fine lines is due to a loss of collagen and elastin within the skin and the loss of the underlying fatty support.

Your most important topical regime starts with a good SPF (50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide) and to practice sun avoidance. Following this one would need to try and build as much collagen and elastin within the skin and I am a firm believer in alphahydroxy and polyhydroxy acids, vitamin C, vitamin A derivatives, anti-oxidants, stem cells and growth factors. All of these ingredients can be found in one form or another in Skin Ceuticals, NeoStrata, Environ, Nimue, IS Clinical, etc.
Further improvements will be seen with light glycolic acid peels that should be performed every 4 to 6 weeks and if necessary one may have to consider dermal fillers to replace the loss of the underlying support and skin hydrating fillers such as Juvederm Hydrate or Restylane Vital.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2012/09/18

Hi Mel, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert