Question
Posted by: concerned | 2008/06/07

Prem Baby born with lots of brusing

My ex partner gave birth to a baby girl at 27 weeks. Although this is circumstantial she gave birth on the night that the police executed a search warrant to recover property she stole from me. Also 2 hours before giving birth she went to hospital who had no signs she was going into labour. After she lef the hospital she claimed she walked about 7 miles and not long after that started to go into labour! I am concerned that she attempted to induce the labour. Question 1: Walking such a distance could this have helped bought on the labour? The baby was born with severe brusing wth a large bruise on her back, brusiing on her arms, legs and other parts of her body. Question 2: Is this normal? Also if she was stricking her stomach would bruising appear on the baby? She claims that the brusing came from the breach birth. Even the nurses at the Pre Natal ICU unit were amazed at the amount of bruises on her! Question 3: Would a doctor be able to determine if the brusing was due to labour or other factors?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Concerned
I would really like to refrain from answering this question, just for the reason that it would be speculation, but I would like to help you get some clarity, therefore my opinion.
Exercise (walking in this case) do not usually induce labour in a healthy pregnancy, but can do so in a threatning miscarige. It is not possible to bruise a baby while pregnant, since the amniotic fluid is a very protective barrier between the unborn baby and the outside world, however, bruising can happen during the labour process and even more so with a breach delivery. I can therefore not give you any possible reason for the bruising apart from the fact that the baby might not have had enough clotting factors in her blood - a condition that is sometimes see in newborn babies and the reason why babies receive a vit K injection just after birth. The doctor who attended to the delivery would be able to tell you whether it was a difficult delivery that could have caused the bruising. Please be so kind as to contact the attending gynecologist and the baby's pediatrician to clarify.
Welma