Question
Posted by: jenna | 2008/06/11

Prem babies

Hi. My son was born at 26 weeks and weighed 1005 grams. He is 8 years old now and is as normal as any other child. I lost my little girl about 4 years ago also at 26 weeks weighed about 757g. I am currently about 4 weeks pregnant. What can I do to prevent a prem birth? I went through the same thing with both pregnancies (pre-eclamsia) - High blood pressure (+/- 186 over 113) and protein leaking through urine. My gynae doesn't know yet, but I have been on Eltroxin for my thyroid from last month 1 May. He mentioned last year that I should be taking folic acid, half disprin and a calcium supplement should I fall pregnant again.
What else can I do to prevent the same story again????

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jenna
Unfortunately the chances are good to have a preterm baby again if this happened twice allready. The best is to be closely monitored by your doctor and go on bedrest as soon as he / she find it necessary. The eltroxin is not a problem, rather a good thing and will not have much of an influence. Please check on taking the disprin, since that may not be the best treatment and should be well controlled, since it can cause bleeding due to it thinning the blood. Folic acid and a calcium supplement is good. So the bottom line is to see your doctor as soon as possible to enable him to monitor you well.
Regards Welma