Question
Posted by: Lize | 2010/06/28

Pregrancy and yellow fever vaccine

Dear dr. Bets,
I am trying to fall pregnant, and we are planning a holiday to Zanzibar in December, for which I need a yellow fever vaccine. Should I get vaccinated now?
How soon after can I try to fall pregnant?
Should I avoid going there all together?

Hallo Lize
Getting a yellow fever vaccine while pregnant is not advised and it is better to wait at least 4 weeks after receiving the vaccine before you conceive. However, the second danger for a pregnant woman in Dec is the malaria risk. I would not go into a malaria area if I was pregnant - dangerous for the mother and for the baby. Why don't you rather wait 6 months before trying for a baby and start trying when you come back? (if you have a baby, there will be no time for Zanzibar for a few years...:-)

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/28

Hallo Lize