Question
Posted by: trees | 2009-01-29

Pregnavit???

I am using Fertipil Plus (definately helped with period). A friend told me to also try Pregnavit. Is it alright to use Pregnavit even though Im not pregnant? Anyone know of any other supplements that can help with " non-ovulation" ? PLEEESE - IM DESPARATE!

Dear Trees

The use of supplements to enhance conception is a somewhat controversial area with respect to female infertility. Supplements are only of value in cases of definite dietary deficiency or in patients who have mal-absorption syndromes. In women who have a well-balanced diet, supplements will not improve fertility outcome and other investigation are necessary to identify the precise cause of the fertility problem. Ovulatory dysfunction may be the result of a host of factors including hormonal imbalance such as thyroid problems, prolactin excess as well as other underlying conditions such as polycystic ovarian syndrome. It is therefore pertinent to establish precisely the underlying cause of the ovulatory dysfunction and correct this using the appropriate treatment choice. Furthermore there may be other factors such as tubal obstruction or endometriosis or uterine tumours such as fibroids, which may co-exist with ovulatory dysfunction and will further impair the chances of conception. These factors need to be ruled out before attempting any form of ovulation induction.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim