Question
Posted by: MANDI | 2010-10-31

Pregnant with weight problem

i am a 34years young woman who struggles with weight loss, 75 kgs. I just found out that i''m pregnant and will see the Gynae on the 8th of November to see how far i am .Possible to advise me what to eat whilst i''m controling my weight at the same time feeding my unborn what he or she deserves.

Dear Mandi
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you struggle to lose weight in general then if possible you should consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). This is to ensure that you don't gain too much weight during the pregnancy and that both you and the baby obtain all the nutrients you require for good health and normal growth. Until you see the dietitian you can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), but add 2 cups of low-fat milk or yoghurt or maas to your daily intake to ensure that you ingest the 1500 mg of calcium you and baby need right now. When you see the gynae ask him/her if
you are allowed to do gentle exercise like going for a walk every day. If the doctor gives permission do this type of exercise to help you with the weightloss, but do NOT do strenuous exercise that could harm the pregnancy and above all do NOT take any over-the counter slimming pills as these can harm the baby.