Posted by: CE | 2009-05-27

Pregnant with thrush - HELP

Hi Doc,
I' m 17 weeks pregnant and have just developed thrush. Its itchy and constantly uncomfortable. I went to the chemist and the pharmacist recommended Canestan Cream to be applied 2-3 times daily, but not to use the applicator for internal use.
My concern is that I' ve noticed little whitish bumps/sores on and around my clitoris only and am also aware that its only in this area where the itchiness and discomfort is coming from.
- Is it thrush or something more serious?
- Will the use of Canestan be adequate to clear the problem?
- Can I take a course of Probiotics to help? Is it safe during pregnancy?
- Will any of the above have negative effect for my unborn baby?

Regards, CE.

Your symptoms could all be due to thrush but the only way to confirm is to have a doctor examine you. Canesten would be fine if it is thrush. Probiotics are fine and there would not be a negative effect on the pregnancy.