Question
Posted by: BB | 2011-02-11

Pregnant with people smoking in the office

Hi, I am 14 weeks pregnant and where I work everyone just smoke wherever they want. I asked numerous times for them not to smoke in my office since it can harm the baby but they just don''t care.

I tried looking for another job but no one want to appoint a pregnant lady!

Please help.

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Phone both the department of Labour and your local Health Authority. The scenario is illegal and the employer is contravening a number of mandatory actions. Stand tall, be assertive and sort them out!

2
Posted by: Wilma | 2011-05-05

That''s the best aenswr of all time! JMHO

Reply to Wilma
Posted by: JT.CPT | 2011-02-11

Smoking in enclosed places is against the law, unless it has been demarcated as a smoking area with proper ventilation etc. Does your company not have a smoking policy, where/when/how? Also if there is a dispute between a smoker and non-smoker about issues such as these the non-smoker should by law be in the right.

I suggest speaking to management about this and if they do not change the situation lay a complaint with the department of labour.

Reply to JT.CPT