Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2009-12-08

pregnant with headache

I' m 17 weeks pregnant and i' m no stranger to headaches, Ive had them all my life, but for the last 2 weeks they have been particularly bad. I don' t have any allergens but could it be that you develope allergens in pregnancy?? maybe i' m eating or drinking something that could be causing this ongoing headache. could it be dairy products or yeast?? My GP has told me to take panado and drink water, but that doesn' t help, i feel obliged to come to work everyday, but my quality of life is horrible. Please can you advise. Thanks

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Mandy,
Allergies do not usually cause headaches. Unfortunately migraines often get worse during the first three months of a pregnancy. The encouraging thing is that after the first three months, they very often improve and may disappear for the duration of the pregnancy. Your GP is quite correct – panado is the only pain killer safe to take during pregnancy. Unfortunately they are not very strong and often don’t help at all. If you suffer from headaches, the answer is not to rely on medication or painkillers! The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the causes of the headache. If the causes are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication. This is true even during a pregnancy.
To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. There are so many different structures in the head and neck are, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, we have combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables us to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles. With the correct diagnosis, most sufferers can be successfully treated without the use of drugs.
Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town).

1
Posted by: headache expert | 2009-12-09

Dear Mandy,

Reply to headache expert