Question
Posted by: Oz | 2011-03-14

Pregnant with excrutiating pain in groin

Hi, I''m just over 12 weeks pregnant now and I have had very sever pain that comes all of a sudden, deep in my groin. I only experience this pain on the left side. It starts on the left by my pubic area and runs down my left leg and up through to my upper hip area. It been happening from week 7 of my pregnancy but it was mild then. Now it''s so sever that I cant move at all. My left leg goes weak with the pain and moving my right leg causes the pain to increase. Is this just how round ligament pain is or is this something else?

I can't tell what this is without an examination. You will have to see your doctor.

3
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-03-15

Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-03-15

Posted by: Jane | 2011-03-14

Hi Oz

Groin and pelvic pain during pregnancy is quite common, during any stage. It is always good to see your doctor in a case where the pain starts to influence normal daily life and doesn''t seem to subside. However, as long as the pain is not accompanied by any bleeding or discharge, it should be fine.

During the third or fourth month of pregnancy, women frequently get a sharp stabbing pain in their groin or to one side. It may come on at sudden intervals, might be worse if you suddenly get up, stretch or move and it might disappear then reappear a few days later. It can be really worrying to suddenly get pains like this, but usually it''s due to the ligaments or muscles around your uterus in your pelvis stretch and thicken as they support your growing baby.

Constipation, bloating and wind can also cause aches, pains and abdominal discomfort. Constipation is often caused by the pressure of your growing bump on your rectum, as well as hormones which are said to slow down the movement of food through your digestive system. These factors are also involved in bloating and wind too, with your growing uterus pressing on your intestines and causing wind.

Some causes of pain in the groin or pelvic area could be:
- increase in hormones
- poor posture
- stress
- weight gain to name a few.

Again, it is always advisable to see a doctor.

Hope this helps

Reply to Jane