Question
Posted by: Guilty | 2008/05/29

Pregnant or Not?

My teenage (14) daughter confided that one of her friends(12) told her that she thinks she is pregnant and if this is the case she is going to have an abortion. What do I do as I feel so guilty. I don't want to loose my daughters trust as she speaks openely to me about everthing and I feel the parents of this other child has the right to know what is going on. Please advise, do I leave it, which i feel I cant, do I inform the school or her parents.

Expert ImageTeen expert

How well do you know the family concerned? Sometimes, the best intentions can lead to people not thanking you for being involved, but you are right to be so concerned that a girl of 12 may be pregnant and that this of course is statutory rape. Does the school in question have a school counsellor? This would be a really useful place to start as you can discuss the issues confidentially before making any further decisions.

You will also need to speak with your daughter about why you feel the need to speak with someone, so that she can understand your concerns and why this 12 year old is going to need help and support at this time.

2
Posted by: Jay | 2008/05/29

Sorry, noticed a typo. I meant to say:
"...imagine the problems that will arise if you suggested something that WASN'T true to begin with..."

Reply to Jay
Posted by: Jay | 2008/05/29

Pregnancy can't really be hidden can it now? :P I'm sure the truth will come out soon enough without your intervention.

Besides, your daughter's friend may not even be pregnant and imagine the problems that will arise if you suggested something that was true to begin with (including the loss of your daughter's trust..)? NOT worth it in my opinion.

Ciao
J

Reply to Jay