Question
Posted by: SJ | 2011/02/22

Pregnant - no symptoms

I went for my first scan on friday to find out that i was 6 weeks 4 days pregnant (on friday) which would make me 7 weeks 1 day today. baby had a heart beat and the gestational sac was 2.14 cm.

My problem (if you can call it that) is that i dont really have any other symptoms. My breasts are a bit sore and achy and last week i was very tired (until the vitamins kicked in and now im all good) but thats it.

Its starting to worry me a ittle as i have heard of really bad symptoms (all day sickness etc) and i have none of it.

Is this now a bad sign??

The other thing is that i keep getting little crampy pains (like period pain) is this also normal? i have not had any bleeding.

I would also desperatly like to stop smoking (have managed to decrease to less than 4 a day) any suggestions on a safe way to do this?

Thank you.

Hallo SJ
No it is not a bad sign, some women have less nausea than others. If the pain is severe or associated with bleeding you should see your doctor, normally pregnancy is not associated with pain. If you are smoking less than 5 per day, the best way to stop smoking is just to not light another sigarette (try not to use nicotine gum or other nicotine supplements). It takes just about a week to 10 days to get over the nicotine withdrawal and if you are already on only a few sigarettes per day, should not be severe. Avoid chocolate, coffee and Coke for two weeks, as this can trigger the need for smoking. Drink lots of water and fresh fruit juices and don't worry if you get "cold" symptoms, it is normal and will soon go away. You can also use a stop smoking program like Alan Carr if don't want to try doing this on your own. It is the best thing to do for your baby, so I hope you will be able to kick the habit!
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/22

Hallo SJ
dr Bets