Posted by: ng | 2008-11-27

pregnant - is there a good diet to be on

i' m pregnant, but i am worried abouut putting on too much weight. I am currently over weight at 70 kg 1.60 in height.... so i dont want to really go over board.. How do i control my eating healthyly.
should i go on weigh less...

Dear NG
Congratulations on your pregnancy! Your present BMI = 27,3 which means that your weight is in the overweight category and you should only gain between 7 and 11 kg over the 9 months of your pregnancy. I would personally recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a slimming diet that is specifically worked out for you and that takes the nutritional needs of your baby and your own needs into account. Some of the dieting organisations do not take pregnant women until after the baby is born. Also click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life" and read the articles on 'Pregnancy'.
Enjoy your pregnancy