Posted by: Cashandra Buys | 2010-02-13

Pregnant and Yellow Fever injections

What will happen if I do not get the yellow fever injection because I am pregnant and we are going to Tanzania for a year?? What can be done?

Yellow fever is a viral infection transmitted via mosquito bites. In pregnancy the risk of exposure and infection should be weighed up against the possible side-effects in pregnancy. Therefore, I suggest that you stay in South Africa until the baby is born, in order to be vaccinated prior to going to Tanzania. Please note that your baby can only be vaccinated after six months of age.

Please read the following article to understand more about yellow fever:

If this is not an option, you should take all precautions not to get bitten by mosquitos.