Question
Posted by: Gugu | 2012-10-17

Pregnant and want to sterilise after birth

Good day

I due end of Dec , i haven`t decided whether to go for natural or caesarine session however what i want to know is how safe is it to do sterilisation immediately after giving birth. any risk that i might fall pregnant whilst i`ve sterilised? when is the best time to sterilise after giving birth?

thank you

If you have a sterilisation straight after birth, the failure rate is 6 in 1000. If you have it after 6 weeks, it is 3 in 1000.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-10-29

Posted by: Nini | 2012-10-17

If you have a ceasarian then they can do the sterilisation at the same time whilst you''re in theatre.

Not sure how it works with natural birth though.

If I may ask, how may children do you already have, and within what age range do you fall? Most gynea''s will argue against a sterilisation if you are below a certain age and have only 1 or 2 kids. I''ve even haerd of some gynea''s refusing to perform a sterilisation! But yes, in the end of the day it is your choice.

I was keen on a sterilisation after my second one is born, but we have since decided that hubby will be going for a vasectomy in January instead.

Reply to Nini