Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2009-07-29

pregnant and starving

Hi diet doc,
I am 8 weeks pregnant and due to see the doctor for my first appointment soon. I am just bothered by being constantly hungry I feel like there is a big hole in my stomach. I know you shouldn' t eat any more than you usually do at this stage. My nausea isn' t that bad only slightly nauseous in the mornings otherwise fine. I have added more nuts to my diet to help with the good fats but am still hungry. I usually eat oats for breakfast with milk, 3 fruits during the day, handful of nuts, yoghurt in the morning lunch is 2 slices of bread with lentil soup or a cheese sandwhich or baked beans and a potato. Supper is protein and carbs and veggies. I lost 25kgs some time ago and do not want to put that much back on. I have read your recommendations and it is more or less what I eat. Is there something I could eat that would put my appetite to sleep for a while? Do you need more calories this early during pregnancy?
Thanks for your advice!!

Dear Pregnant and Starving
Congratulations on your pregnancy. It is not usual to feel so hungry at the beginning of your pregnancy because you don't really have an increased energy requirement. It is possible that your fluctuating hormone levels are causing this change in appetite. The food intake you describe is reasonable, except that you need to have at least 2 more servings of fat-free yoghurt or milk a day to provide the calcium you and baby require during your pregnancy. When you see the dr ask him/her to test your blood glucose and insulin levels to see if they are not unbalanced (something that can also happen during pregnancy and which could account for your hunger). If you should have an insulin imbalance then Please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), for a low-fat, low glycaemic index (GI) diet so that you can control your feelings of being hungry and don't gain excessive weight during your pregnancy, but still obtain all the necessary nutrients you both need for good health. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.
Enjoy your pregnancy